Monday, May 20, 2019
Set List: Friend of Devil, Casey Jones, Ripple, Scarlet
Begonias
Day 1 of treatment. Today it’s real. I arrived about 9am. The
plan is for radiation at 9:15, brief visit with radiation oncologist, then on
to first chemo treatment at 10.
Today there are a different set of techs in radiation,
suddenly the whole listening to the Grateful Dead plan is already in question.
Thankfully, my new tech friend Joe was there and got right on it. His assisting
tech said, “I don’t have Sirius, I’m on Spotify.”
I said, “I’m sure there’s a playlist for them on Spotify.”
While checking me in, Joe multi-tasked. To me, “Date of birth?” To his assistant, “Just search it in Spotify, G-R-A-T-E-F…” and voila, we have the Dead playing. The assistant even made the extra effort to make sure he had it turned up loud enough for me to hear.
I enter the treatment room and lay down. Although the
clamping down to the table is still a bit stressful, I have found a little
trick to the procedure. As everything tightened down around my head, I heard
the techs saying what a great fit the mask is. I’m thinking, “Yeah, maybe from where
you stand but try being on my side of it.” I noticed if I wiggled and shifted
slightly I could find the sweet spot where I gained a little breathing room and
not feel so constricted.
The tech told me today’s procedure would be a little longer
than typical because the doctor will be coming in to make sure all of the
alignments are correct which involves some X-raying so expect maybe 4-5 extra
minutes. From the moment they locked me down I focused on the music and
although I had to fight off a little anxiety, the procedure was over relatively
quickly.
The sensations of the clamps being released is now one of my
favorite parts of the procedure. It means I’m done for today. I say “thanks,”
they say “see you tomorrow,” I move on. That’s the routine. “Next!” It’s quite
an assembly line of patients they see on a daily basis.
I returned to the waiting room to be called for a consult
with the doctor. A medical assistant calls me in to record vital signs and
tells me the nurse and then the doctor will be in shortly. I notice it is now
9:55 and my chemo treatment is scheduled for 10. I wander out of the room and
find a nurse to let her know I’m coming up against my next appointment. She
makes a call and tells me to go on to chemo and I should circle back to the
doctor after I’m done. Flexibility is clearly something they’re very familiar
with and so far it looks to be the norm around there.
I check in at chemo and sit in a different waiting room.
After about 10 minutes I’m called. “Room 5, I have two seats, pick whichever
one you want.” I was told to expect a 5-6 hour process so I’m hoping I can get
a “window seat.” Yup, even from my earliest memories as the youngest of 4
children, the window seat is still the must have, whether it be the car, an
airplane, and now we can add chemo treatments.
I enter Room 5 and pick the only seat that’s available…Not a
window seat but I can see outside just fine. I sit in a reasonably comfortable
recliner and wait alone for about 15 minutes. The woman who brought me in
returned and said she didn’t realize I was a new patient so she explained that
I would be hooked up to a portable IV stand so that I can take myself to the
bathroom, something I would probably be doing several times over the course of
each treatment. I waited a while longer until a nurse came over to start the
process.
She asked how I did with needle sticks and while I typically
do fine with them, I related how the Pre-op nurse a couple of weeks ago had
trouble and I showed her the resulting bruise from that procedure. She took a
look and explained that I had very good veins so that nurse must have been new.
She then added, “Nurses aren’t taught to insert IV needles in school.”
“You’re taught on the
job?” I asked.
“Yes we’re taught on the job. This is my first time too…just
kidding, this is probably my first thousandth.” OK, I can work with sarcasm.
She inserted the needle and seemed like she could have done it blindfolded.
The fist chemo treatment was fairly uneventful, I watched
some TV, including a rare Red Sox day game (they get NESN), uneventful that is except
for lunch. If your chemo treatment crosses the lunch hour, a nearby “gourmet”
food store provides bag lunches for the patients. Lunches include, half a
sandwich, soup, chips, cookie, and a piece of fruit. At around noon, I was
handed a bag lunch. I was reasonably hungry so I opened it immediately to see
what goodies were inside. This is what I saw:
Having been raised by parents who were children during the
Great Depression, the concept of what constitutes “edible” food was not typical
of today’s standards. While reminiscing with my brother a while back, he summed
up our upbringing with regard to moldy food, “There are two kinds of mold, the
kind you eat around and the kind you cut around.” I’ll let you decide which one
applies here.
I shared the photo of the apple with families and friends,
because it’s what I do. I gave the apple to the chemo nurse who was taken aback
and said, “I’ve never seen an apple like that.” I assume somewhere in the quality
control department a complaint was made, unfortunately I have bigger fish to
fry so I’m letting that one go, although I did share it with a doctor later
that day.
Chemo ended around 3pm and I was sent back to connect with
the radiation doctor who I missed this morning. He went over the biopsy
results, confirming what I had and stated, “No surprises, there’s nothing
interesting about what you have.” Hopefully it stays that way. I felt Day 1 had
gone as well as could be expected.
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Set List: Brown Eyed Woman, Johnny B Goode, Crazy Fingers
I entered radiation to yet another slightly different team
of techs. The lead tech had no interest in music choice for the procedure so I
became a bit anxious. She was completely focused on the machine and processing
another body through radiation.
Soap box time:
Thankfully, I haven’t had many medical procedures in my lifetime. One aspect of
procedures I do know about and am learning even more these days, is that there
is a drug for everything. The downside to this is that many of the drugs need
to be taken to counteract the side effects of another drug. I’m already on 3-4
drugs from chemo that are taken for these purposes, to offset each other’s side
effects. My motivation for listening to the Grateful Dead during radiation is
to eliminate the need for another 1-2 medications.
Since the beginning of time, music has played a role in
bringing a calmness and joy to humans, doesn’t matter the kind of music. What
the music of the Grateful Dead does for me is break down all barriers to time
and space. There is a drug I could take for the anxiety of being bolted down to
the radiation table, but if I can get into a state of mind simply by tuning
into the music, the number of minutes on the table and the walls of the
radiation room disappear. The mask becomes my friend, my protector. I don’t
know for how long, but I don’t need to know how long, long enough is all that
matters. It is a peaceful state of mind for me.
In my opinion, the lead tech has lost touch with that aspect
of caregiving. She’s been there a few times this first week, not interested in
whether I can hear the music, not interested in whether the Dead are even
playing. I will be addressing this directly as necessary. Thirty seconds of
effort to be compassionate is not asking too much. Hopefully in a couple of
months this will all be behind me but right now I’m living it. Don’t skimp on
the compassion!
After radiation I had to drive to another hospital for a
consult on having the feeding tube put in. The appointment was short and sweet,
got some more inconsistent information about proper care, depending on which
hospital protocol is being used and confusion over whether I would be using the
tube right away or taking a wait and see approach. It was over by noon and I
was on my way home. The rest of the day I concentrated on needing to eat and
hydrate but was feeling a bit drained from information overload and not very
interested in eating at all, probably from the chemo. I was relieved that when
I started to eat lunch my appetite was fully intact.
Wednesday, May 23,
2019
Set List: Whipping Post (Allman Brothers), Friend of the
Devil
Today is one of those days that I feel is going to be few
and far between. I need to drive to treatment, receive treatment, return home.
That’s it! More mini battles over the music, as described previously (note set
list above…), but otherwise all went as planned. My tech friend Joe was
present, ensuring the music was to my liking.
Thursday, May 24,
2019
Set List: Dark Star
Today was the opposite of yesterday. No quick stop by for
treatment and go home. Today we had to be in radiation by 7:15am and then on to
the other hospital for the feeding tube procedure by 8am. Radiation was done
promptly upon arrival and we were on our way to the hospital. We made it in
plenty of time and again were promptly admitted to the operating room.
The tube procedure went very quickly from start to finish. I
was given a twilight cocktail in the OR because they needed me awake to swallow
several times while a small camera was inserted in my nasal passage and then
sent down my throat. So yes, basically I need to swallow the camera. Once the
camera was in place they knocked me out with a stronger sedative. I awoke in
post-op and then was moved to a more formal recovery room.
It was here where things changed somewhat profoundly. As I
became more alert, I also became more aware of the pain in my chest. Like some
of the other procedures to date, I am so damn naïve when it comes to this
stuff. I knew I was having surgery but all along I only kept hearing, “Put the
tube in, get it done now, don’t wait, you’ll be thankful later.”
Now with the pain enveloping me, I was concerned. The nurse
reassured me that what I was feeling was completely normal, “You’re actually
doing great with the pain. You have a wound similar to that of a stabbing
victim.” Say what? I don’t remember that little tidbit in any of the consults
and recommendations of having the feeding tube inserted. It was here that I
also realized that my challenge of pain management was going to rear its head
again.
After about 5 ½ hours
in recovery we agreed I should be released. There wasn’t much point in hanging
around unless I was going to demand some serious narcotics and admission
overnight. I was looking at a quick day on Friday and a long weekend of no
treatment so I opted to go with whatever the night brought at home.
We arrived home around 4pm and I sat in shock for a couple
of hours, no appetite, not having much to drink. To manage the night I applied
the same strategy I used in the recovery room. I got into bed, eventually,
after a couple of tries of zero comfort, found a position that didn’t exude pain,
and stayed like that for about 10 hours. I took some Tylenol and Aleve then I dozed
in and out on my back until the sun came up.
I arose to get ready for the Friday regimen and was
pleasantly surprised that I was hungry and ate a banana and drank some water.
Since the procedure eliminated showering for several days I threw on some loose
clothing and we headed out. I had a blood draw scheduled for chemo prep, a
meeting with a chemo nurse, and a radiation treatment. My biggest concern was
the radiation as lying flat on the table locked down while recovering from a
STAB WOUND might be challenging.
The blood draw and meeting with the nurse went fine. I found
it a little absurd that this blood draw, being done less than 24 hours after a
surgical procedure that resulted in me being dehydrated and undernourished
would be used to gauge the next chemo treatment. Sure enough, the blood test
showed an issue: low platelet count. Not sure how accurate that is though because
Aleve can have an effect on platelet production. Stay tuned.
Apparently I also showed a low sodium count so I was told to
add salt to meals. Being a salty snack junky, I told the nurse I never thought someone
suggest more salt in my diet.
From the chemo nurse it was on to radiation. I walked into
the room and the crew was a little taken aback at my appearance. One of the
techs asked if I had just been released from the hospital because unlike days
1-4, today I looked like her dad in my socks and sandals. Ah, the aging process
of illness.
The radiation team was extremely patient and provided a lot
of help to get me through this treatment, from helping to get on the table,
making sure I was relaxed and, yes, Joe showed his concern for the music. I
escaped to my safe place, the session went well and we called it a day. End of
week 1! Looking forward to the long weekend, or so I thought.
We were home for a couple of hours when I noticed my patient
portal had a new test result. I logged in and saw there were results for a
bilirubin test. The result on the graph showed it was high but beyond that I
didn’t understand what I was looking at, until about a minute later when the
phone rang.
It was the chemo nurse we had met with in the morning. She wanted
to let me know about the bilirubin result. She said it was probably related to
the surgery on Thursday and not to worry, we would do another blood draw
Tuesday morning. So rationally I’m not worried about the result, I literally
went from 9pm Wednesday night with extremely minimal fluids or sustenance for
48 hours and here was a blood test spitting out results with red flags. My only
irrational concern is we wait over the weekend, make that the long weekend,
before getting some confirmation of new results and whether there are problems
brewing.
Friday ends week 1 of treatment. Looking back, this was the
week that was supposed to be uneventful. While I’m a bit stunned by how things
turned out, I realize that the feeding tube is what turned this into such a
tough week. From others I have heard from, I think it was the right decision to
have the procedure done now rather than later when my tolerance level might
have been severely compromised. So things haven’t gone the way I envisioned but
so be it. The issues that arose still fall into the category of treatment side
effects. We plod along toward week 2 beginning Tuesday.

John, hanging in there and so glad that you can still find humor in all this. Be sure to eat to build energy if you can. It Thinking of you and continue to pray for you. Sending positive energy and strength!!!
ReplyDelete