In my case though, there is a very short back story.
Patriots’ Day weekend 2019 I began feeling neck pain which
was also flaring into a headache that wrapped around the left side of my neck
and head, ending behind my left eye. After several attempts at massaging my
neck for relief, I noticed a swollen gland on the left side of my throat. Not
one to typically seek medical intervention, this time I felt something was
definitely wrong. I called my primary care practice and spoke with the on-call
(there, I almost said it…nope wait for it, several days to come) nurse
practitioner. He assessed my condition and determined with no other symptoms
present, I should wait until my dentist appointment Tuesday morning to see if
this might be teeth related. (He also called me back about 30 minutes later to
inquire about Cat Scratch Fever, the malady not the song.)
My wife suggested I try a "warm compost" for relief.
I said, "Warm 'compost'? Are you sure you're a nurse?" Turns out she's not. She's a librarian, and a damned good one at that. She is so good that I asked her permission to share that exchange. Tread very carefully with your caretaker in times like these...
My wife suggested I try a "warm compost" for relief.
I said, "Warm 'compost'? Are you sure you're a nurse?" Turns out she's not. She's a librarian, and a damned good one at that. She is so good that I asked her permission to share that exchange. Tread very carefully with your caretaker in times like these...
Tuesday, April 16,
2019
The dentist visit indicated no issues relating to my teeth
so I made an appointment to see the primary care physician that afternoon. Ah
yes, the afternoon of April 16th, like my birthday, a date that will
live in infamy.
My primary care doctor was unavailable so I saw another
physician at 3pm. When he felt the swollen gland his reaction was, “Whoa,
that’s a whole lot of lymph node right there.” And the whirling dervish of
health care began. He ordered 5 vials of blood drawn for testing, a chest
x-ray, told his assistant to get me in to see an Ear, Nose Throat specialist
ASAP, and to schedule an urgent CT Scan. Don’t have to hit me over the head, I
know it’s game on now and things don’t look good.
The lab in the office was closed but his assistant was
permitted to open it and perform the blood draw. After completing, she had me
sit with a scheduling agent who was on hold with Salem Hospital.
The agent gave a few “uh-huh’s” and then hung up the phone,
looked at the clock, turned to me and said, “You’re scheduled for a 5:30 CT
Scan in Salem, better leave now.”
I responded, “What about the X-ray?”
After another look at the clock, “Yeah, you probably can get that done down the hall before you leave.”
After the X-ray I drove 35 minutes to Salem Hospital and walked into the Imaging Department around 5:15, received a contrast dye CT scan and returned home around 7:30.
Wednesday April 17,
2019
8AM: Phone call from the nurse at the primary care office
asking if I could come back in to give another vial of blood. She “needed one
more than I took yesterday. Come in at your convenience.”
I headed out about 9am for the 15 minute drive. About 30
seconds away from the office another call, this time my primary care doctor.
“I have the results of the CT scan from last night. I’m not
going to sugar coat it, this is not good. You have a couple of different things
going on, a swollen lymph node, something going on with your left tonsil, and
nodules on your thyroid. The ENT you see tomorrow will be able to provide more
info but this is very concerning.”
“Well if you’re not going to beat around the bush, are we talking
throat cancer?”
“Maybe. Sorry, I’m really sorry.”
And there it was. I said it before he did. The first
non-definitive punch to the gut. The first piece of information that starts
your mind thinking the worst but hoping for the best. The Emotional Derby is
about to begin, “And they’re off!”
I continued on to the office to give that extra vial of
blood. Upon sitting down in the lab, and after giving my name, the attendant
said, “Oh, you were the last one in here last night. I found a vial of you
blood left on the counter this morning.”
“Oh, so you don’t need to take any more then?” I asked.
“It sat out all night, it’s no good for testing. I told the
nurse this morning and she insisted she didn’t leave it out but I showed it to
her. She was mortified.”
OK, so when I got the call in the morning about “needing
another vial” she wasn’t being completely honest about why. Just sayin’.
Thursday, April 18,
2019
Consult with ENT. Still nothing definitive as of yet so HOPE
is very much in the lead. After exchanging pleasantries, doctor begins a
thorough oral exam including placing a camera into the nasal cavity to look
“behind” my tonsils, into my esophagus (I presume). He does not see any
indication of trouble anywhere, including the tonsil, except for the swollen
lymph node. Next step is a Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) of the node to send out
the fluid for biopsy. As he withdraws the fluid he notes that it is yellow
which to him initially indicates pus. More likely this is an infection, and he
is “not overly concerned about this.” HOPE, with the whip, dashes further in
front and is surging several lengths ahead of the field.
After completing the FNA, the doctor opens the door and asks
his nursing team, “How do I send fluids out to the lab?” Ruhroh. Maybe Dr.
Howard or Dr. Fine can help him with that. Suddenly the comfy feeling that this
will all be over with "take 1 every 12 hours with food" is waning. Here comes DOUBT
creeping up on the inside rail. He doesn’t know how to get my samples to the
lab? WHAT? The nurses put him at ease and said they handle that part so no
worries needed.
When he returned he asked if there was anything else to
discuss. I inquired about taking antibiotics in case it was an infection since
I’ve now been walking around with this lump for about a week. He agreed and I
began taking a general antibiotic while we awaited the results of the fluid
biopsy.
Friday April 19 –
Sunday April 21, 2019
Uneventful weekend except for one thing: although the lump
did not seem to be impacted by the antibiotic, the neck pain and headaches
stopped. Looking back this may have been due to less stress with HOPE still
significantly out in front of the pack.
Week 2: Shit Just Got Real
Week 3: Holy Phuc
Week 2: Shit Just Got Real
Week 3: Holy Phuc
No comments:
Post a Comment