Today begins the last week of preparing for treatment. Tests
have been completed, most results are in, most of the plan is in place. I spoke
with the radiation oncologist about the feeding tube. He’ll put in the order
and I’ll get a call to schedule it. The only thing I have today is a consult
with a periodontist leftover from better days when my only concern was a
receding gum on one specific tooth. My how times have changed.
The doctors and dentist all agreed I should keep the
appointment as it wouldn’t hurt to have another oral health professional take a
look around. I arrived early and was seen promptly by the doctor. As I shared
my situation I noticed the office manager was hovering in the doorway listening
in. The doctor took a look around, we talked about dry mouth and saliva glands
and the importance of staying on top of my oral health. He assured me that my
gum issue was not critical and when I’m cleared for dental work by the doctors
we could revisit, whether that be in 6 months or even a year. He said the tooth
was not going anywhere and not to worry about it. We shook hands and he wished
me luck.
I probably wouldn’t even have included this appointment anecdote except
for what happened next. The doctor left the room and I was getting up from the
chair when the office manager returned. She handed me two small bottles of dry
mouth oral rinse. She said take these with you, you can also buy them in stores
of you like them. I thanked her and left. In such a short time into this
journey, I have come across countless generous individuals who are sharing
information, support, and in this case, products that may help me along the
way.
Tuesday, May 14 and
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
No appointments but Friday is the dry run for the radiation
so the whole mask lockdown is getting very real. I spent some time each day
strategizing my approach to the treatment and trying to gauge whether I could
pull off the whole “embracing it” concept. While I still felt OK with embracing
it, another thought came to mind. I wonder if I would be allowed to listen to
music during the treatment. That would really settle things down for me.
I was still relatively young during the Woodstock era but
having an older brother who greatly influenced my taste in music, the music of
the 60’s and 70’s are my go to tunes. (I would be remiss here if I didn’t
include that he also pushed Frank Sinatra onto my music radar, though
technically Ol’ Blue Eyes was certainly very relevant well beyond the 70’s.)
My brother’s influence on my introduction to music dates
back to the 1960’s and his taking piano lessons and me wanting to do the same.
The piano lessons experience is an entire chapter unto itself so let’s fast
forward to the present. I have a very nice electronic keyboard that I don’t
play nearly enough but I really do find comfort in music, both playing and
listening. So now I’ll ask about listening to music during radiation. If I can
get that, I think I’ll be golden.
Thursday, May 16,
2019
Morning appointment with ENT, follow-up to last week’s
biopsy procedure. This is now the 3rd location I’ve encountered my
ENT, this time at a satellite office location. We were probably his first
appointment and were seen right away. He examined my tongue and pronounced my
healing was going fine, despite my thought that when I had sneezed mightily a
few times during the week it felt as though any healing had been compromised by
what felt like a ripping sensation in the biopsy spot.
He showed me the lab results of the biopsy which indicated
it is “extremely likely” this is a cancer caused by HPV and is being seen more
frequently in otherwise healthy males over the age of 40. The HPV could be
present for as long as 10-30 years and if the body’s immune system does not
eradicate it, it can turn onto cancer. More than one doctor has told me I’m the
text book case for this these days. My response has been, “I’d rather be the
text book case for a disease with a known effective treatment than have them
call colleagues after I leave and say, ‘You won’t believe what I saw today!’”
We discussed again the surgery possibility but only in that
he agreed it was not a good idea to attempt it in my case as the results could
be disastrous. He shared that he is treating some older patients that went the
surgery route and, while still walking this earth, they cannot eat or swallow
properly so they permanently and exclusively get their food through a feeding
tube.
This is where the irony for the week begins. We discussed
the importance of keeping a high calorie intake, no matter how it needs to
happen, orally or through the feeding tube.
He said, “While nearly everyone is trying to lose weight, we
need you to gain weight right now.”
I let him know I was a bit concerned that I have lost about
5-6 pounds since this ordeal began but I chalk it up to my metabolism and how I
get this way when stressed.
With a surprised look he said, “You mean you’re not a stress
eater like the rest of us?”
“No, I’m a stress non-eater.”
Woody Allen captured this “condition” perfectly in Annie Hall. It is one of my favorite
movies and this scene is one of the many reasons why. On their first date, Alvy
(Woody Allen), and Annie (Diane Keaton) leave the movie theater and are walking
down the street. The last line sums it up:
They stop in the
middle of the sidewalk. Alvy turns Annie around to face him.
ALVY: Hey,
listen, listen.
ANNIE: What?
ALVY: Gimme a
kiss.
ANNIE: Really?
ALVY: Yeah, why
not, because we're just gonna go home later, right?
ANNIE: Yeah.
ALVY: And-and
uh, there's gonna be all that tension. You know, we never kissed before and
I'll never know when to make the right move or anything. So we'll kiss now,
we'll get it over with and then we'll go eat. Okay?
ANNIE: Oh, all
right.
ALVY: And we'll
digest our food better.
ANNIE: Okay.
ALVY: Okay?
ANNIE: Yeah.
They kiss.
ALVY: So now we
can digest our food.
And there you have it, a glimpse into the life of a stress
non-eater. And that’s the first irony for this week. Now that we know what we’re
facing, my main pressing concern is to gain weight while I’m able, but when stressed I
can’t eat, plus the treatment is going to greatly reduce my interest in eating.
Catch 22? Endless loop? This is going to get very interesting in a few weeks.
The appointment ended on a positive note with the doctor saying,
“Ok, we know where we’re at. Let’s zap this thing, close this chapter and get
on with your life, and try to put on a couple of pounds for when I see you next
in 6 weeks.”
So virtually all of the i’s have been dotted and t’s have
been crossed. Areas to treat have been identified, type is identified, and the
treatment plan is in place. As strange as it feels to say this, I’ve been
chomping at the bit for treatment to start, the sooner we start, the sooner
it’s over.
Friday, May 17, 2019
Today begins a streak of 36 straight non-holiday weekdays of
lying on a table clamped down to it for 10-15 minutes. No radiation today,
they call it a dry run. They make sure the mask fits and everything lines up on
the machine.
As I entered the room, I told the techs I had two questions:
Could I get a picture of the mask, and is it possible to listen to music during
the treatment? The answers were yes and yes! The woman that made the mask last
week took a couple of pictures of me on the table.
More important to me was the music conversation. I wasn’t
sure what they had in mind but as I got near the table she said, “We have music
on now but we can change it. Not sure what you want to hear, classic rock OK?”
I said, “Classic rock would be fine.”
The other tech in the room said, “I’m not sure that Guns ‘n’
Roses is classic rock.”
“No, I don’t think so. My son would like that but I’m not a
big fan,” I said.
The woman added, “We have Siruis XM if there’s something on
there you like.”
With no hesitation I said, “The Grateful Dead station.”
She yelled to the 3rd tech in the control area, “Joe, he
wants to hear the Grateful Dead.”
I’m guessing Joe is about my age and quite possibly a
Deadhead himself as in less than 2 seconds “Playing in the Band” was blaring
through the overhead speakers. He clearly knew about the Grateful Dead station on Sirius XM satellite radio. Things are definitely heading in the right
direction on this long, strange trip.
As I was being bolted to the table I noticed the mask was a
little tighter than when it had been fitted last week, which is something the
techs had warned me about. I fidgeted a little bit and said although it didn’t
hurt, the throat section of the mask felt a little constricting. She told me to
try tilting my chin slightly, I did and that cleared up the issue. They
explained how they were going to be taking some x-rays, etc., by now I was just
focused on “Playing in the Band” which had moved from the chorus into an
instrumental which I was very familiar with and knew would last well beyond my
time on the table.
In what seemed like a very short amount of time, the techs
returned to the room and released me from the mask. The tech told me she
entered the Grateful Dead on my chart and the other tech said they each had
their own Siruis subscriptions so when I come in everyday just tell them I
wanted to hear the Dead on Sirius.
I told them the irony of the Grateful Dead selection. This
past Christmas, my son gave me tickets to the Dead concert at Gillette Stadium coming
up on June 22. I’d been looking forward to it ever since. Sadly, last week I
told him he should sell the tickets because it was becoming clear I would
probably not be in any condition to attend a concert in late June. With this
new development of music during treatment, I’ll be listening to the Dead daily
over the next 7 weeks, defeating the anxiety about the mask. I joked with the
techs that since it was the Dead, I probably wouldn’t ever hear an entire song on
any one visit but as a good friend pointed out, “lots of great metaphors and
imagery and memories to get lost in.” Exactly. This was big folks and here’s
why:
Nice huh? And I just noticed, duct tape really is used on
everything, like Frank’s Hot Sauce. 35 days and counting.
I may not be the typical patient, who knows if any of us are
“typical” when it comes to this, but had the music possibility been put on the
table, so to speak, from the beginning, it would have saved a lot of
unnecessary anxiety on my part. Again, just sayin’. Another teachable moment
for the professionals. I also made the point of telling the techs they need to
supply the radiation oncology nurse with a more accurate version of the mask so
she stops showing that little fencing mask to new patients. I think I’ll follow
up on that one.
As I left the radiation area, the other tech shook my hand
and said, “When you come in every day, just remind me about playing the Dead
and I’ll get it right on for you.” I’m not stating anything unique here, everyone
that I know who has dealt with this disease has said the people that treated
them were all incredibly nice. I definitely concur.
From radiation, I went on to an informational appointment
with the chemo nurse. I had met him briefly the week before. This time we went
into his office and we just hit it off. Again the whole first impression thing
is highly overrated in my opinion. I mentioned the Red Sox and how in my family
we were raised on 3 principles, God, family and Ted Williams, though not
necessarily in that order. He said he wasn’t a big baseball fan but his family
upbringing was similar except substitute Bobby Orr for Ted Williams.
I said, “Bobby Orr?” and removed my glasses. “Notice a
resemblance?”
He looked at me closely and the recognition on his face became
visible. “I do see a resemblance, wow!”
I went on to explain that although Ted Williams was my
father’s hero, mine was Robert Gordon Orr, there’s not a close second. As Ted Williams was the greatest hitter to ever live, Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player of all time. From the
age of 10, when Orr and the Big, Bad Bruins were on the eve of winning their
first Stanley Cup in my lifetime, I began hearing more and more people say,
“You look like Bobby Orr.” To a 10-year-old growing up on the outskirts of
Boston, there was no greater compliment. I couldn’t skate or play hockey like
him, looking like him was fine with me. Though I've never met him, I have a 3rd grade picture that someone gave to Orr back in the early 70's and he signed it. Yes, I have his autograph on a picture of me, not him. Thankfully I also have another signed picture, the one of his iconic goal from May 10, 1970. To this day resembling Bobby Orr is a cross I have to
bear.
Our mutual affection for Orr aside, we conversed comfortably
about hockey, family, living on the North Shore and oh yeah, the side effects
of chemotherapy. There wasn’t really any new information from what we were told
on the previous Friday in Boston, though he reiterated several times that there
has been great strides made on the reduction of vomiting during chemo
treatment. He said if there hadn’t been he wouldn’t still be in the field;
vomiting is the one thing that he can’t handle in his role as an RN in medical
oncology. I’m not a big fan of vomiting either so I agree, this is a good
thing.
I asked a few questions about some advice and
recommendations for products I’ve been receiving and he told me that family and
friends will be coming out of the woodwork with things they’ve heard of. He
said while well-intentioned, their suggestions are anecdotal and the advice
from the medical professionals is evidence-based. He said if there are any
recommendations I’m considering to keep the medical professionals in the loop.
I thought that was fair. He didn’t say to disregard suggestions, just make sure
they’re discussed with the folks providing my treatment. He even went on to say
he would recommend I consider acupuncture as an alternative therapy. He said
there is data to show that it can help with the long term side effect of dry
mouth, something to do with improving the effectiveness of the saliva gland, in
my case on the left side, which will be mostly destroyed by radiation,
definitely worth looking into.
It seems he will be my main contact if I’m ever not feeling
well and I’m not on site. In addition, he became an immediate patient advocate
for me. When he realized I was scheduled to go to Boston to have the feeding
tube put in, he put a call in to another scheduler and put things in motion to
have that procedure done closer to home. I’ll probably be seeing him weekly and
feel good that there’s another Bobby Orr fan looking out for me.

John, you are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm grateful for your love of the Grateful Dead - and Robert Gordon Orr. Both are in your camp. Take good care, our friend. Mary & Greely
ReplyDelete