Day 4 Destination – St. Augustine, FL, 633 miles. We planned
well. We’re literally on the home stretch now and even though we have a final
time zone hour to lose, we have the “shortest” leg of the trip to go. After one
last trip down the stairs for the Ray and Artie, I’m sure they were glad to say
“good-bye” to that honky-tonk, we’re leaving Nashville.
Right away we had to make a decision on an alternate route,
or so we thought. On the previous night while entering Nashville, we noticed
highway construction signs alerting to road closures in and around the city. We
tuned the radio to the designated station (amazingly, the only time the radio
was turned on during the whole trip), and once again ran into a state agency
that seemed to be just going through the motions. The recorded message, declaring
which roads and routes were recommended, kept “skipping” during the critical
parts of the message. No street or route names could be understood,
“such-and-such street at Highway X is closed, please use –static, static,
static – as an alternate route…” does anyone care about anything anymore?
We decided to stick with our original plan and successfully
made it out of Nashville. We were blessed once again with a picture perfect
day. Although there was to be a little bit of scenery left to see, we were
pretty excited that, God-willing, we would not be spending another night in a
Motel 6. I can’t say it was going to be “home sweet home” for either of us,
Don’t forget Phil was ending his 10k mile USA crisscross and hadn’t actually
spent a night in his interim home yet. I was very much looking forward to
seeing my beautiful bride of nearly 9 years, as she had flown down to St.
Augustine to help out with her mother during our Day 2 on the road.
Once we exited the hills of Tennessee, let’s face it the
real mountains are out West, lots of memories flooded back to me. Having lived
in the South during the 1980’s, Georgia was very familiar. The signage,
vegetation, divided highways all were familiar. You want peanuts? Georgia is
the place, about every 10 miles. Lots of Southern cooking options, but we were
uniquely focused on our destination so we didn’t sample the goods, and oh yeah,
we had dogs with us.
About midday we drove through Atlanta and our 3rd
MLB stadium adjacent to a major highway: Turner Field. Inserting a digressive
rant here: Having been to nearly 20 MLB stadiums so far in my life, I can’t
help but hope that one day someone that matters will realize that Fenway Park
IS NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WATCH A BALLGAME…It undoubtedly was when it was built
in 1912, and still after being rebuilt post fire damage in 1934, but not now.
I’d love to see Larry Lucchino sit in the right field grandstand on a cold April
(or September) night wearing a winter coat for 9 innings. I’m guessing we’d see
new plans for a more spacious stadium with comfortable fan seating the next
morning.
The Earth is flat, for miles and miles south of Atlanta. We
kept a good pace, crossed over into Florida and decided to make one more stop
for the dogs. Just on the outskirts of Osceola National Forest. OK, I’ll give
you the “forest” moniker, there were trees, but really, this is Florida, we’re
talking swamp here. And Ray and Artie’s first exposure to their new life - a fenced
off pond with signs warning about the dangers of alligators. Welcome to
Florida! When I lived here in the 80’s (much further south), I had a dog that
“escaped” many times, went swimming in canals but never ran into a gator. I
suppose all it takes is one though so I hope Art and Ray obey the signs.
It was a typically balmy Sunday afternoon outside of
Jacksonville. We drove along I-10 which cuts through the National Forest and
were now actually talking about which local streets to take in St. Augustine
which was only little more than an hour away. Not long after we were on I-95,
the same one I live only minutes away from about 1200 miles north.
We crossed over one of the many inner bays and were now on
Route 1. “Old Route 1” as my mother would say, which is also a road I’m very
familiar with back home. Turned left at the tattoo shop and we finally arrived
in the carport of Phil’s and Mil’s interim home about 6:30 Sunday evening; our
brides busy in the kitchen cooking up the family’s delicious American Chop Suey
recipe.
Four days, 3,000 miles, 12 states, 3 Motel 6’s, countless
McDonald’s, (a couple of Subways too), and 2 dogs successfully delivered to
Mom. They were so happy to be back in a real home, I can’t blame them, so was
I.
Next: Let's wrap it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment