Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"And the Middle of Nowhere Award Goes to..."


Day 2: Destination goal – Lincoln, Nebraska, 869 miles. This was rather ambitious but I felt since we would now be driving I-80 East all day it was doable. On one hand we were helped by a 75 mph speed limit through Wyoming and Nebraska, on the other hand, crossing from Mountain Time to Central Time cost us an hour and made the drive feel as long as it was. Not quite the scenery the West offered, but a bit of interesting traffic keeping up with us. My only question is, “Why were there Indian River pure Florida Orange Juice trucks driving east through Wyoming and Nebraska?” Perhaps pure Florida Orange Juice is a hybrid between California and Florida???

Not too far into Wyoming, we left behind the scenery of the Rockies. The view was now living up to what folks had said it would be “lots of nothing.” I don’t totally agree with that assessment but I know what they meant. I’d have to compare central and eastern Wyoming to the surface of Mars. No signs of life for hundreds of miles and mountains were becoming hills. It was here that I determined that the official “middle of nowhere” award should go to Arlington, Wyoming. Not sure why it even has a name really.

There were also lots of windmills (and a few cows). Yes, the modern ones like the residents of Cape Cod are fighting over. I hope those involved with Cape Wind are consulting with whoever put up the thousands of windmills out west.. I'm sure they are... Don't they always do that for every major public works project? 



Being a huge college football fan, it was nice to see some of the “cities” where western colleges are located, but with regard to Laramie, Wyoming, home of the University of Wyoming…WTF?? I can’t even imagine growing up or going to school there. The prairie dogs at the truck stop were interesting to see up close but other than that, not much to see or do I’m guessing. Officially, Laramie is 41.8 miles from Arlington. Not long after, we passed through Cheyenne (don’t blink), and then on into Nebraska.

In Nebraska, the hills became plains, fields and a straight-away that spanned the state. Phil and I pretty much flew down the highway, making great time (until the pesky time zone change). We stopped once in the afternoon (North Platte?), the dogs relieved themselves, another McD’s, and probably the strangest sight we saw on the trip: in the middle of the truck stop-McDonald’s parking lot sat 3 ducks, on the pavement, not concerned with any of the vehicles weaving in and out around them. Never flinched, probably still sitting there. (Sorry no photo.)
  
By 8:30pm we reached Lincoln. We pulled into the parking lot and found that this Motel 6 shared a parking lot with “Doctor John’s Lingerie and Novelty Shop – Open 24 Hours”. 'Nough said, but once again, 2 dogs, blah, blah, blah…This night did not go as smooth as the first. When we came to a stop at the motel office, Phil noticed a problem with the vehicle, the rubber molding was pulling up over the windshield, but after closer inspection, nothing a little duct tape couldn’t fix in the morning. If the nearby convenience store didn’t have any I was sure “Doctor John’s” would be the go to place for duct tape. (The convenience store had some.)



We had driven more than halfway across the USA without incident but Ray had had enough. He did not care for the room arrangement at this Motel 6 and he was not shy about letting everyone know. He was spooked by all of the noises in the hallway outside the room from shutting doors to voices to footsteps.  As the night went on he became less tolerant and barked a little louder. Art on the other hand, reminded me of the older sibling who just sighed and looked at Phil to do something about the racket Ray was causing. Artie was settled in to his dog bed and probably would’ve accepted some earplugs had I offered them to him. At one point Phil offered to get me my own room but it was already 1am and I thought there was no point. I might get a little more sleep but we were due for another 750 miles in the morning and I would need Phil to drive at least part of it. We would have to be in this together.

Eventually with more lights on and the bathroom fan running we got about 5-6 hours sleep. Ray stayed “alert” for the rest of the night; Phil had invited him up onto his bed which seemed to settle him down a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment