Week off June 9, 2019
This week has been both profound and relatively dull. Rather
than give a daily recount, I’ve decided to focus on two specific days. Monday
and Wednesday were empowering and emotional days for me. To sum up the other
days, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday were straightforward treatment days and were
pleasantly uneventful.
At this point, I feel it would be helpful to explain the
genesis of my adult relationships with doctors. In the autumn of 1987, my
daughter, born with Down syndrome, was a few months old. It was recommended
that her mother and I undergo genetic testing/counseling to see if either of us
were carrying a gene for Down syndrome which might impact future decisions to
have more children. After we were tested, the results were negative, we met
with her ob/gyn to discuss the report.
We met at the doctor’s office in the early evening and he
explained genetics to us using the “pair of shoes” analogy, fairly basic stuff.
Our heads had been spinning for 3 months now as we acclimated to the world of
Down syndrome and we were both taking in more information than we could
possibly remember. When we finished our discussion, I extended my hand toward his
and with complete respect and sincerity, I shook his hand and said, “Thank you
for taking the time to discuss this with us, it’s been very helpful Mr.
Waterford.”
As I began to loosen my grip on his hand, he brought his other
hand over mine and began tightly grasping my hand, not releasing the handshake.
He made sure I was looking him in the eye and he said, “It’s ‘Doctor’
Waterford.”
I was stunned. The only words I could get out were, “Oh,
yeah, right.” That moment set a perspective for life as far as how I would
interact with doctors. I made sure I would always show respect to them and call
them ‘Doctor’ but I also vowed to never place them on a pedestal, ever. They
are human like the rest of us, ego, faults, baggage and everything else.
So on Monday, I returned to the cancer center to meet with
the doctors and bring them up to speed on the nightmare that was the previous
week. It was possibly the most empowering moment of my life. I took control of
my healthcare and didn’t look back. No regrets.
I began by telling two prominent oncologists, “Your
communication amongst each other and towards me last week was completely
unacceptable. You’re going to need to do a better job.”
From there I let the other members of the team know that I
was going to be calling out any discrepancies and contradictions that I
observed and all of them needed to step up and do better. The best part of
this, they heard me. I’m pretty sure everybody knows my name there now. I hope
by writing this other patients who were afraid to speak out will not hold back.
Unfortunately I’ve come to realize that healthcare is no different than any other
industry in terms of employees. There are those special people committed to doing
a good job and others who go through their day blissfully ignorant to what is
going on around them. Again, I know my naiveté continues to show, but I am who
I am.
After I had my say to the team, we got back to the business
of care. The most critical thing happening was my racing heartbeat. To rule out
some things, I underwent a CT Scan. The results came back negative for anything
serious and the mystery fever of last week may have been caused by a touch of bronchitis.
I’m guessing the heartbeat issue may be related to the fact that I was perfectly
healthy two months ago and now I’m in the middle of a heavy duty cancer
treatment plan.
After sharing the results I was sent home and week 4 was
well underway.
On Wednesday I returned for radiation and chemo, the first
chemo since last week’s hospitalization. I was not only nervous, but as I
shared with the team on Monday, I’ve become very emotional. I discussed this
with my wife and told the team I was open to anything that would help me with
anxiety. I’m not too proud to turn down help that’s available.
We discussed medications, therapy, and acupuncture. I let
them know I was open to any and all. While receiving chemo, I was visited by
the social worker. We talked about my emotional state and she asked if I had
given myself a chance to have a good cry about my predicament. I think my
response surprised her but she quickly put things in perspective for me.
To be clear, when I refer to being emotional, I’m talking
about choking up and shedding tears. I’ve noticed that I’m not doing this in moments
of sadness though, I seem to be wired to not cry over loss.
What is happening is I am profoundly touched by the
outpouring of support and love from so many people who are in my corner. It
overwhelms me. The social worker said, “You’re being touched by humanity, the
love from one individual’s heart to yours. It is a beautiful thing. Embrace it.”
So I continue to feel a little sappy over the smallest
gestures, even feel good stories that have nothing to do with me specifically, but
I want to thank everyone for all of your kindness and thoughts and prayers. It
is making a difference and keeping me feeling positive about my plight, it
really is a beautiful thing. Thank you, I love you all.
Yes John, I know it is hard and so proud of you for doing what you are doing. Thanks for sharing your journey with us and allow us to support you via spirit and praying. Thinking of you and hope that the power of your story telling and the love of everyone will help you conquer this cancer and become a much stronger man. Be positive John.
ReplyDelete